Preparing our youth for a bright financial future
UVA Community Credit Union is a proud partner of educational institutions, providing unique experiential learning programs to our youth.
What is the student-run branch program?
REAL credit union branches that operate on select school premises where:
- We serve the students, faculty, and staff
- We operate in concert with classroom instruction
- Students conduct branch transactions and help create marketing/promotional campaigns with guidance from credit union personnel
Benefits for the Students:
- Development of life skills relevant to personal money management
- Financial literacy and understanding of the American economic system
- Workforce and entrepreneurial exposure
- Allows students to earn extra money while building their resume
- Exploration of banking and finance career options
Benefits for the Educational Institution
- Provides mission and curricula support through experiential learning
- Reinforces Standards of Learning (SOL's)
- Supports the Economics and Personal Finance course required for high school graduation
- Gives students opportunities to apply marketing and business techniques learned in class
Benefits for UVA Community Credit Union
- Reaffirms our not-for-profit credit union's mission to improve the social, moral, and economic needs of our community
- Builds a sustainable talent pipeline for employment
- Student-branch employees have opportunities to train and work in our branch network, at credit union events, etc.
- Non-branch students have opportunities to showcase talent (i.e., marketing, accounting, & graphic arts)
Benefits for our Community
- A new generation of more knowledgeable consumers who can help stimulate the economy and successfully manage their money
- Healthier individuals/family units through financial stability
- Pool of employees with experience in running a business (marketing, branding, and financial operations)
We currently have four Student-Run Branches:
Lion Nation – Louisa County High School
Patriot Pride – Albemarle County High School
PVCC Campus Branch – Piedmont Virginia Community College
Knights United – Charlottesville High School
If you would like to learn more about our Student-Run branch program, contact our Community Relations department.